Tuesday 23 August 2011

The Tide Jewels

I have just completed a 15,000 word novella called The Tide Jewels. I wrote it as part of a challenge set by Wicked East Press. Ten authors get together to write ten prompts. The prompts are then sent in, divvied up, and sent out to a different writer. When I first got my prompt my muse groaned under the weight of having to write something which appeared to be high fantasy sword and sorcery--a genre I have so far avoided. But, after a good deal of thought I came up with a way I could put my own spin on it. I am very happy with the outcome.

The Tide Jewels will be published later in the year in the second book in the Wicked Bag series; Wicked Bag of Fantasy Tales edited by Jessica A. Weiss. In addition to the two main characters the story features a dragon, a cat, and a turtle. It is a re-imagining of the Japanese creation myths that can be found in the Nihongi and the Kojiki. I had a lot of fun writing it and I hope you have fun reading it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it!